Sunday, September 13, 2009

To Go To Video... Or Not ?

I have seen the future,, and I am using it as I type...

Over the years, one has to change and adapt to the changing meathods of doing things,,, First there was barely a pen made of a feather, and some conconcation they called ink,, and rough paper to write on, then eventually the printing press was invented and eventually bring books down the realm of everyday people who could then learn to read and learn,,
Then came the typewriter, so anyone could make legiable documents and have their say and be able to be read, not relying on handwriting which as we all know can be very changeling to read,,

Fast forward to to today, eveyone who has a computer and a printer is in effect their own publishing house, at least on a small scale. The ways in wich the printed page can be manulapied are endless,, from font to front size, color of print to adding pictures,,


Fast Forward to today when self publishing take on a whole new meaning with the advent of the blog, and the personal video camera, or webcams as they are often called. Thus allowing millions of people to put their silliest foot forward, and be stupid on camera for the world to see. While I have always liked the idea of YouTube, and the like, I have alway felt that it has for the most part never come up to the potential that it could have, at least content wise. No one can say its a failure, ar that it doesn't fill a niche, a niche it created, The full poteniol of the personal video hs rarely been used as it could be.
The blog has over the last several years become a form of citizen journalism of sorts. Many blogs are penned my well-known and respected people who have something to say regarding whatever their particular area of interest is. Millions of people read them and engage in lively discussions about their ideas, This is how it should be. However the short form video has not evolved tp that point with a few notable exceptions.


In 1998, a new station came to the world it was full of cpu's, and hard drives and and funny intials,, ZDTV,, The ZD standing for Ziff-Davis,, It was cool and different, and fun,, and bought to us at a time when technology was changing fast, not that its not changing fast today, it seemed even faster then, The shows were both serous and fun. It had its own news, its idea of sports was gamespot a show about then emerging gaming platforms and even covered computer gameing.
On the tech side, they had two live call-in show 5 days a week, one geared for the novice user, wh could barely turn on their box, and the other for the geekier corowd, "Call for Help" and Screen Saveers," I could go on about the network, short version it evolved to become Techtv, and made great strides in bring techonlgy to the masses and helping them understand tech and what it could do for them. Sadly they are now gone, but not forgotten.
You can read the full rundown on Techtv here;



All Of of this brings us to today;

Lately I have been feeling "Creatively Inspired". A lot of this has been brought about by my finely getting a new computer.
My old primary machine was feeling its age, maybe 3 years old,, As you know, 3 years is several generations in the computer world. I was finding that my old machine was having a hard time doing routine task, web surfing, ect.
For less money then I spent on the old machine I got a machine that leaves it in the dust. Dual core, 2.60gh,processer, 6 gigs of ram, and 64 bit windows Vista, all of this horsepower coupled to my 22 lcd monitor is a work of art.

The ablity to create , in my case write, and put my ideas down on "paper". without having issues with the machine giving problems trying to basic things is freeing..
But theres another Aspect of having both a fast laptop, and now a faster and capable tower , that has helped bring new life to my interest in creating content again. That is web tv, or streaming media, Now that I have equipment that can play full streaming video without buffering every other second, for five muinutes, and eventually not working at all, I can begin to see possiblies, that I though were always there, but I'd never been able to put to use.


Over the last few days I have enjoyed watching many alumni from the Tech TV days continue to build careers on line and showing me the possiblies of what can be done.

While I don't have the resources to start my own multi-show web network As Leo Leporte has in his Twit.tv venue, and Patrick Norton, and other folks from Tech Tv have over at Revision3. I do see possiblites of opening up new ways expanding on this blog. I have tried a couple different ideas, both failing rather nicely,,, However, Now with this new tower, and my trusty old DV camera and fire-wire and running some test recently I find that doing a video version of the blog that your reading to be quite possible. Obiviouly, there are limitations as to what I can do, One main limitations right now is YouTube, as they only allow videos up to 10 minuts, it can take almost that long to read one of my articles. Which leaves little or no time to make offhand comments or discuss the material in the article.
While, I defiantly like the idea of doing the video version of my blog: several questions come to mind;

The question is, doses the world need another video blog ?
Also if I do take the time to do it,, will anyone watch it?
Can I contribute something of interest and bring new ideas up for discussion in ways that I can't do in a regular blog?

I am interested in getting feedback as to if I should even continue on this path. If so, any ideas as to how I could do it different or make the whole process better.
I am also interested in the possibility of going back and covering my earier articles , is there a interest in my doing videos of either a select few of the earlier articles or going straight through and doing all of them?

I am opening this up for discussion and comments,, feel free to leave a comment here, or email me, you thoughts.

Ken Lawson


No comments: